Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Faux Embossing - First Try


Recently Linda Howard taught a Faux Embossing class at Scrapbooking Made Simple in Santa Clarita, California.  I think she teaches great, fun, easy and quick card classes. 

As you can see by the photo above I simply did not get enough paint on the flourish stamp.  At the time, it seemed like I had lots of paint on that stamp, however during this class I learned one must have GOBS of paint on the stamp (preferably a solid stamp or something with thick lines, nothing too delicate).  Linda provided Adirondak Paint daubers for the technique (in this card and other to follow this week the paint color was pearl, can you see the little bit of shimmer?), but I have since found that any white water based paint works well (black paints looks nice too).

I determined not to give up and throw it away (after all this is a craft and a learning experience) and so moving forward I sponged Tim Holtz' distress ink on the card panel in blues and a bit of green.  I then stamped the dotty background in one of the blues over the top.  I used my ruler to put the black ink around the outside because I may as well make an effort to have it straight and then chose a blue colored panel as a frame and mounted the whole thing on a card.  I decided that at home I would add some embellishments to try and hide or at least distract from my poor paint job and below you will see the finished product.  (Note:  I noticed some of the other students took a paint brush and painted straight on the card stock.)




It is not my best work, but I like the colors, the flowers and the glitz and have decided it is just fine as is.  Tomorrow you will see another card where I tried that flourish again.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment